IT'S THE SAME ADDITION ORDER LESSON PLAN
- Write the problems 3 + 2 and 2 + 3 on the board.
- Ask students what is the difference between 3 + 2 and 2 + 3 (they have a different first number/second number/the numbers are switched).
- What is the same about them? (they have the same numbers).
- Ask students to find the answers to each of the problems.
- Explain that the answers are the same, 5, because the problems use the same numbers.
- Write the problems 2 + 4 and 4 + 3 on the board.
- Ask students if they have the same answer. (no)
- Why not? (Because one has a 3 and the other a 2).
- Explain that if you change the numbers you get a different answer.
- Write the problem 4 + 5 and 5 + 4.
- Ask students if the numbers are the same. (yes)
- Ask if the answers are the same. (yes)
- Explain that changing the order of the numbers does not change the answer.
- Repeat with other problems as many times as the teacher deems necessary.
Use the worksheet to evaluate whether students understand the concept.
Math Lesson Plans, Worksheets,
For more teaching
material, lesson plans, lessons, and worksheets
please go back to the InstructorWeb home page.